- General Purpose
This part-time position, Thursday-Saturday, 3:45AM-11:45AM, is responsible for providing information, assistance, and security measures at the terminal, ground transportation areas and parking office, and as necessary processing transactions using fee computers for customers while referring more complex issues to foremen and/or supervisors. In addition, this position assists in maintaining a clean, welcoming, secure and professional environment.
- Essential Job Functions
- Serve as a front line ambassador at Burlington International Airport terminal buildings, roadways and parking office, by actively engaging with customers to provide assistance with luggage and wheelchairs, answering questions, giving directions, parking information and maintaining safety and security requirements.
- Process transactions and collect fees from customers in a courteous and respectful manner using automated fee computers for exiting vehicles and assist customers with the use of self-service / self-pay equipment.
- Be knowledgeable of airport facilities, airport terminal and fire exits as well as other airport buildings and traffic routes.
- Observe, understand and be knowledgeable regarding Airport and TSA security requirements
- Keep informed of airline arrival and departure schedule at the Burlington International Airport.
- Be knowledgeable and able to communicate information regarding access and availability of ground transportation at the Airport.
- Regularly patrol areas outside Airport Terminal and Parking Garage acting as an ambassador to the airport.
- Communicate and cooperate on security and customer service matters with Airport Operations and Burlington Police officers assigned to the Airport.
- Maintain and enhance positive public relations by responding promptly to complaints and inquiries by the traveling public.
- Enforce airport rules and regulations and City Ordinances relating to ground transportation services, traffic flow, and parking of vehicles, including but not limited to directing traffic.
- Follow procedures and prevent security breaches by properly manning the North Concourse Exit Lane as directed by Airport Operations.
- Collect luggage carts and wheelchairs on a regular basis throughout the day.
- Assist with monitoring vehicles in the parking garage, including directing vehicles to the off premises parking lot when the parking garage has reached capacity.
- Understand and execute Ground Transportation duties such as; permit distribution, which includes collection and recording of payment, and paperwork filing.
- Work on a remote monitoring station to assist patrons of the parking garage upon entry/exit.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of two years' experience working in a public service capacity or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Experience in airport or security preferred.
- Must be able to stand for several hours at a time.
- Ability to work extended periods of time in all weather conditions.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally both orally and in writing.
- Ability to process monetary transactions and apply basic math skills
- Ability to work weekends, nights and holidays as required.
- Ability to interact with the general public, staff members, supervisors, outside contractors and various professional and private customers in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in the face of confrontation and stressful situations.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Punctuality and the ability to be on-site as scheduled.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
- Ability to obtain a Burlington International Airport Secured Area ID badge which includes a 10 year fingerprint based criminal history records check, a security threat assessment check and a written exam.
- Ability to work in a Windows based environment with knowledge of word-processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Ability to properly use equipment including two-way handheld radios capable of tuning into Airport frequencies.
- Additional Information
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.