Application and Technology Support Specialist
- General Purpose
**In order to be considered for this role, you must complete the attached Civilian Position Personal History Form and submit it by mail or in person to the Burlington Police Department, c/o Business Manager, One North Avenue, Burlington, VT 05401**
This position is responsible for enterprise application support, including (CAD/RMS), and Technology Support within the FIRE and POLICE Departments. In addition, the position works in coordination with technology consultants, State of Vermont technology vendors/departments, and various technology support vendors.
- Essential Job Functions
- Trains others on use of applications and technologies.
- Serves as an enterprise application specialist and provide application and technology support to users of the Department's core applications, Including but not limited to; Computer Aided Dispatch and Records Management System (CAD/RMS); Parking Enforcement applications; Web-based applications and support vendors; e-mail; e-copy
- Provide support for Mobile applications, i.e. in-car computers, iPads, iPhones, and upgrades to applications or hardware.
- Support the software related to the creation of digital case files, digital evidence, and integration of these items into partner agency computer systems.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of IS operating procedures and standards as well as changing technologies so as to be able to stay current with public safety demands.
- Support software related to the creation and maintenance of the Department's website.
- Installs, configures and maintains software and hardware, including application software such as Microsoft Office and proprietary software.
- Provide application support to users of the Department's digital security camera system, digital telephone and radio recording system, and the Department's digital identification creation system.
- Provide adequate and timely responses to requests for related services.
- Documents daily/weekly services; reports on services rendered and projects/plans for future needs/demands.
- Act as a liaison for the Department(s) with other technical support staff/vendors and employees as needed, includes support regarding software problems, updates, fixes, new releases, and change requests.
- Ensures and maintains uptime and data recovery as needed, maintaining regular and dependable data backups.
- Maintain, monitor and ensure the integrity of applications and server infrastructure including; but not limited to conducting end user set-up, adding and deleting users, passwords, carrying out routine system virus scans and virus file updates, etc.
- Perform maintenance of user profiles and groups on an Active Directory Server.
- Proactively addresses server, various technology and application issues and takes appropriate actions to ensure maximum operational efficiency. This is critical to a 24 hour/365 day public safety operation.
- Provides backup, support and guidance for other IS staff.
- Other duties as required.
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Associates Degree in Computer Science, IS or related field, or related experience, and a minimum of three (3) years experience supporting applications is required.
- Public Safety Experience preferred.
- Web and HTML experience preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of Microsoft Windows and database concepts
- Ability to become certified and maintain certification in a variety of proprietary software and hardware in order to meet position requirements for maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Technical aptitude and understanding with experience in prioritization.
- Ability to act as an application specialist and providing application support to users of the Department's core software system; including but not limited to; the CAD/RMS Computer Aided Dispatch, Mobile application and Records Management Systems.
- Ability to act as a liaison between the Department and vendors regarding software problems, updates, fixes, new releases, and change requests.
- Ability to support the software related to the creation of digital case files, digital evidence, and integration of these items into partner agency computer systems to include by not limited to the Courts, Corrections, and Prosecutors offices
- Ability to supporting software related to the creation and maintenance of the Department's website.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals to gather information on applications and systems and communicate information back and forth towards solutions.
- Ability to provide support for other technology and other application support duties as assigned.
- Ability to learn and effectively operate within all departmental, City regulations and program standards.
- Must have strong analytical skills.
- Must have experience identifying and resolving problems in diverse hardware and software environments.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, customers and other personnel, in a team environment.
- Must be able to listen to and appropriately react to a supervisor's constructive criticism and incorporate said criticism to improve employee performance.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workflow.
- Ability to improve service to internal and external customers is required as is a high level of personal creativity, initiative and enthusiasm to work within a constantly changing organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to comply with industry best-practices.
- Ability to travel to and from various work sites within the City of Burlington.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Additional Information
The Civilian Position Personal History Information Packet must be printed, completed, notarized and mailed OR hand delivered to:
Burlington Police Department
c/o Business Manager
1 North Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401
Civilian Position Personal History Information Packet (PDF) (Download PDF reader)
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities. For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE.
AmeriCorps, PeaceCorps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.