Chief Administrative Officer
- General Purpose
Click HERE (Download PDF reader) to learn more about this opportunity
The City of Burlington, VT seeks a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) responsible for the day-to-day management of the City's financial operations, budgeting and payroll, and interdepartmental efforts to assure timely coordination and completion of key City projects. The CAO reports directly to the Mayor and serves as the City's lead financial officer for 18 departments and 600 City staff.
The CAO assists the Mayor with the strategic and operational planning for City government and, in conjunction with the City's Chief Innovation Officer, monitors City performance through data collection and analysis. In addition, the CAO is responsible for the advancement of special projects at the Mayor's direction, including capital bonding, tax increment financing, and managing interdepartmental initiatives.
The CAO leads the Clerk/Treasurer office with 22 full-time staff. In addition to finance and administration, the CAO's office is responsible for administering local elections and serving Burlington residents through the City Clerk's office.
- Essential Job Functions
- Serves as ex officio clerk of the City Council with Mayor presiding, City Council, Board of Civil Authority, Tax Abatement Board, and Local Control Commission.
- Provides adequate staff resources for the City Council. Under the direction of the President of the City Council, supervises the preparation of the Council agenda and furnishes pertinent supporting documents.
- Has charge and custody of and maintains official city records and public documents.
- Manages all of the city's financial operations, including, but not limited to planning, coordination and supervision of the preparation of the budget for submittal to the Mayor, and administers the budget after its adoption.
- Keeps the Mayor and City Council fully advised of the financial condition of the city and of future needs. Oversees the creation of annual full and detailed statement of the receipts and expenditures for the preceding year.
- Oversees Annual City audit.
- Develops purchasing rules and regulations.
- Monitors and exercises fiscal control over purchases and expenditures for city departments.
- Supervises the development of the city's capital improvement and capital financing plans involving major improvements to the city's infrastructure system and municipal government facilities.
- Maintains and enhances the City's revenue base by applying sound financial practices and directing the City's financial resources toward meeting its long-term goals.
- Administers local elections and serves Burlington residents through the City Clerk's office.
- Assists with strategic and operational planning for City government, and, in conjunction with the City's Chief Innovation Officer, monitors City performance through data collection and analysis.
- Serves key role in labor-management relations and is a lead negotiator during collective bargaining.
- Manages the collection, borrowing and investment of city funds in accordance with investment policies and goals, and local state and federal regulations.
- Working in cooperation with the Human Resources Director, plans, evaluates and recommends personnel policies, employee benefit plans, employer insurances, property, liability, and other insurance programs.
- Serves as the City ADA Coordinator for programs, facilities, and activities.
- Develops with the City Attorney and the Human Resources Director strategies and recommendations regarding bargaining unit contract negotiations.
- Serves as member of the Board of Finance and on the City Employee Retirement Board.
- Provides policy advice and overall guidance to Mayor and City Council, and implements policies and programs as adopted by the Mayor and City Council.
- Attends meetings of the City Council and, as necessary, other boards and commissions to coordinate and satisfy the administrative needs of the City.
- Performs other administrative and executive functions and responsibilities as delegated by the Mayor.