Summary: Maintains buildings in a safe, clean, and orderly condition. Performs cleaning tasks, routine maintenance, and assigned duties such as clearing snow and conducting building safety checks. Notifies supervisor of needed building repairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Cleans, sanitizes, and preserves designated spaces in the building (i.e.: classrooms, lunchroom, labs, and activity areas.)
2. Restocks disposable items and provides head custodian with inventory usage and data.
3. Assists with general maintenance, as necessary, in and around the building as needed.
4. Assists visitors utilizing the facilities with directions within the building and obtaining and setting up needed equipment and furniture.
5. Operates and maintains the following equipment: auto scrubber, wet/dry vacuums, buffing machines, carpet extractors, lawn tractor, snow blowers, etc.
6. Handles chemicals, cleaning solutions, and power equipment in accordance with product specifications and with knowledge of all safety rules and regulations. Disposes of hazardous waste in appropriate manner.
7. Assists in maintaining seasonal grounds work. Maintains exterior areas of buildings by mowing, trimming, raking, and picking up debris. Also clears snow and ice from entrances and walkways, as per protocols.
8. Maintains security for the building/grounds each school day, and provides weekend security as assigned. Monitors electrical appliances and equipment for proper operation and disconnection, identifies building maintenance and repair needs, and locks doors after operating hours.
9. Responsible for trash and recycling collection and removal.
10. Assists with the established protocols for school year building openings and closings and with emergency shut offs for gas, water, and electric.
11. Provides other custodial and building responsibilities as assigned by the Custodial Supervisor/Head Custodian.
12. Participates in job related trainings, instructions, and activities.
13. Reports all relevant problems associated with the building to the supervisor.
General Work Responsibilities: Performs in a safe and responsible way at all times. Presents a neat, clean, and appropriately dressed manner. The ability to work in a collaborative team environment is essential to the employee's successful job performance. Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Must have a high school diploma, General Educational Development Diploma (GED), or the equivalent. Previous experience with cleaning helpful.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate with others.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to establish and maintain safe, effective working relationships with students, staff, and the school community. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements and School Board policies. Must be able to keep high levels of confidentiality in all aspects of job performance. Demonstrated ongoing commitment to workplace diversity, sustainability, and delivering exceptional customer service.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations, as defined by the District, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand, walk, and use hands to handle controls, objects, and tools. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop, kneel, reach above the head, and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climb ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, and pails, and while unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 90 lbs. such as salt and bulk furniture. At times the employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines, and remove snow. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and occasionally will work outdoors. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderately loud.