- General Purpose
This position provides general and recurring indoor and outdoor custodial work, at times using mechanical equipment. Also performs routine maintenance, building security, and event set-up/take-down duties for the Fire House Gallery, and City Hall and other municipal buildings.
- Essential Job Functions
- Ensure building security by vacating building occupants, securing windows and doors, and reporting unusual events to supervisor.
- Perform safety inspections as required.
- Sweep, vacuum and mop floors throughout all buildings.
- Set up furniture for meetings and events at facilities as directed.
- Operate mechanical and manual equipment to strip, wash, wax and buff floors.
- Wash windows, walls, fixtures, doors, and woodwork.Polish the furniture, mirrors and chrome hardware.
- Empty and clean trash containers; prepare trash, recycling and compost for removal from property by outside garbage contractors.
- Clean and sanitize kitchen and bathroom sinks and toilets.
- Clean and unplug drains.
- Clean and replenish supplies of all dispensers in rest rooms.
- Sweep, clean and remove trash from outdoor walkways, driveways and facility grounds.
- Remove snow and ice from walkways using manual and mechanical equipment.
- Wash, prepare for painting and paint walls and woodwork as directed.
- Interact favorably with the general public at all times.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent and one (1) year previous experience in custodial or janitorial field working without close supervision required.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly with employees and the public.
- Must have proven ability to be entrusted with keys to City buildings, officers, facilities, and tools and equipment.
- Possess and maintain valid state driver's license.
- Ability to work in various weather conditions required.
- Ability to work with chemicals and solvents associated with cleaning and maintenance and be familiar with safety data sheets (SDS) required.
- Experience operating mechanical and manual equipment to strip, wash, wax and buff floors required.
- Ability to operate hand tools, power tools and various equipment required.
- Must be able to work weekends, nights and holidays.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
- Additional Information
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
AmeriCorps, PeaceCorps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.