Gallery Coordinator and Curatorial Assistant
For City of Burlington
- General Purpose
This position is responsible for managing the day to day gallery operations including coordination of gallery installations and the organization of openings and events.
- Essential Job Functions
- Manage financial/accounting procedures for gallery program.
- Manage contracts with exhibiting gallery artists procured by the Curator and exhibitions team.
- Assist Curator with exhibition research, written materials, and artist relations.
- Coordinate scheduling, vendors, documentation for auxiliary exhibition programming including but not limited to openings, performances and lectures, including scheduling, and provide onsite supervision.
- Procure artists for exhibitions and develop exhibition content and programming as needed in coordination with the Curator and exhibitions team.
- Manage relationships with partnering organizations as required in coordination with the Curator and BCA exhibitions team.
- Coordinate the development of gallery marketing materials and onsite materials in collaboration with exhibitions team and the Communication Director.
- Assist with exhibition installation including art packing/unpacking, assembly/hanging, painting, light construction and supervision of volunteers.
- Assist with Artist-in-Residence and award programs including application processing and artist/jury travel arrangements.
- Manage the Summer Artist Market and Winter Artist Market.
- Oversee upkeep of physical appearance of gallery and artwork maintenance, opening/closing procedures, environmental control and gallery security
- Coordinate exhibition installation including scheduling contractors, artists and volunteers.
- Assist with recruiting, training and supervision of interns and volunteers.
- Manage art transportation, including insurance, documentation, receiving, handling and storage.
- Assist with gallery education as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Oct 02, 2017
Oct 16, 2017
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements A Bachelors degree in Art History or related degree A minimum of one year of experience in a museum or gallery setting required. Excellent written and oral communication. Excellent interpersonal skills. Strong organization skills required Ability to professionally represent the City of Burlington and the City Arts Department in all dealings with artists, members of the general public, local officials, City Arts Board members, etc. Familiarity working in a Windows-type OS, including knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software preferred. Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required. Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced, pressurized environment. Ability to complete installation of exhibited artwork, including, but not limited to lifting, use of a ladder, and use of a drill, other power and manual tools, etc. Knowledge of art world and contemporary artists with a regional emphasis
A Bachelors degree in Art History or related degree
Regular Full Time Non Exempt
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veter