- General Purpose
This position performs entry level maintenance and operational activities at BED's generating facilities such as McNeil Station, Gas Turbine, Solar arrays, and Winooski One Hydro Generation facility.
- Essential Job Functions
- Provide support for mechanical, electrical, instrument and control, and operations activities.
- Unloads woodchips from railcars.
- Perform preventative maintenance program tasks such as changing oils in gear reducers, fans, pumps, and bearings.
- Operate all wood-handling equipment up to the surge bin at the boiler front.
- Perform routine maintenance including lubrication of all wood-handling equipment and front-end loaders.
- Load wood ash into trucks for off-site disposal as needed.
- Perform periodic greasing and oiling of ash handling and other fossil fuel burning equipment at BED's generating facilities.
- Perform maintenance on ash handling equipment and char reinjection system as required.
- Operates a variety of machinery and heavy equipment including a front-end loader and dump truck as needed.
- Perform lab tests on water samples and keep logs and record of water quality trends.
- Perform outage inspections and regular preventative maintenance on water treatment equipment and heat exchangers.
- Assist in the installation and repair of electrical equipment at BED's generating facilities.
- Assist in the installation, repair and/or maintenance of electrical and electronic equipment associated with high pressure boilers, turbines, generators, fuel handling systems, lighting, fire alarms, or security and communications at BED's generating facilities.
- Assist in the electrical preventative maintenance checks at BED's generating facilities.
- Fill in at the generation facilities in the maintenance and operation departments as needed when deemed qualified.
- Perform maintenance and other duties on emissions monitoring equipment (CEMS/DAHS equipment) as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Cleans assigned areas as directed
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- High School Diploma required.
- Must possess or be eligible to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within twelve months.
- Ability to work 12 hours rotating shift when needed and deemed qualified.
- Must have the ability to utilize hand and power tools.
- Must be able to read machinery manuals and understand line drawings.
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand mechanical and electrical systems and drawings.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment including front-end loader.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations is required.
- Ability to obtain workable welding and use of gas-cutting torch skills within twelve months.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must pass a Pulmonary Function Test and wear a respirator..
- Basic computer competency in word processing, spreadsheets, email, and control functions.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to perform basic maintenance tasks to the highest caliber which includes the ability to: climb ladders, work in confined spaces, lift heavy objects weighing up to 100lbs., etc.
- Must have the ability to interact harmoniously with co-workers, vendors, and the public.
- Ability to participate in various training including confined space training, CPR, First Aid, and all mandatory training.
- Must have the ability to enter a confined space and elevated areas.
- Must have the ability to diagnose, trouble shoot, and fix equipment as needed.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
- Additional Information
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
AmeriCorps, PeaceCorps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.