Manager of Strategy and Innovation
- General Purpose
The Manager of Innovation & Strategy shall be a member of the executive management team at Burlington Electric Department (BED) and provide leadership, direction, and oversight of the Center for Innovation area of BED. This position has direct oversight of the departments in the Center of Innovation such as Resource Planning, Finance, Information Technology, etc., employees, contractors and related functions. This position is responsible for managing all aspects of BED's power supply, financial, technology smart grid efforts, etc. within the Center of Innovation including the design, development, launch, and operationalization of new customer offerings.
- Essential Job Functions
Culture of Excellence
- Provide high-quality, senior executive leadership for BED to encourage innovation and creativity across the organization and to establish a culture of excellence and an environment that results in motivated, creative employees who exhibit the ability and desire to function as part of a well-functioning team to accomplish common BED goals.
- Instill in the organization an understanding that the customer is at the center of everything we do and that an exceptional customer experience is critical to BED's strategy and performance.
- Champion an understanding that improving employee satisfaction is critical to creating an exceptional customer experience at BED. Ensure that empowering employees is considered in all key decisions.
- Work with General Manager and other senior managers in creating an open, respectful culture where every employee feels comfortable sharing ideas and opinions. Help break Department silos, flatten hierarchies, and encourage dialogue between employees within and across teams. Help create a culture where employees have personal ownership for BED's success and are encouraged to take responsibility, make decisions, fail without fear, and learn from mistakes.
- Manage the Center for Innovation area in accordance with current Public Utility Commission ("PUC") mandates, other State and Federal requirements and City Charter provisions.
- Directly supervise and evaluate management within the Innovation and Strategy area to ensure that their specific duties and responsibilities are being fulfilled in a prudent and professional manner.
- Communicate with employees in an effective, timely manner.
- Develop and foster an environment that encourages cooperation among employees involved in different functions within BED.
- Manage the Employee Net Zero Benefit program.
- Ensure that internal communication within BED is adequately maintained.
- Work with senior management to develop long-term competitive strategies for BED.
- Implement, monitor and measure BED strategies, plans and policies as they relate to the Innovation and Strategy area.
- Oversee the development of BED's annual performance measurement documentation and other key performance indicators.
- Assure preparation of, and compliance with, all applicable operating and capital budgets.
- Ensure that program funding resources are adequate to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a communicative and cooperative liaison between BED and its customers, other City Departments, City, State and Federal leaders, utilities, regulators and others, as appropriate, relative to matters of mutual interest and expertise.
- Ensure that BED meets environmental program goals consistent with established Electric Commission and City Council priorities.
- Plan, schedule and implement a variety of work to effectively and efficiently operate the Innovation and Strategy area within the confines of prudent utility practice and in accordance with applicable Vermont State law, City Charter provisions and rules and regulations as adopted by the Board of Electric Commissioners and the City Council.
- Ensure that BED external communications and public events accurately reflect BED policy and promote a positive public image.
- Present information to various audiences on BED matters as appropriate.
- Promote and display a style of work that reflects excellent customer service and encourages working partnerships with all internal (employee) and external (ratepayer) customers.
- Oversee various BED filings with the PUC, and other state and federal entities, and provide testimony when appropriate.
- Provide testimony in various legislative and regulatory proceedings when appropriate.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Graduate degree in engineering, finance, business, law, public administration, or another appropriate discipline is required
- Eight (8) years of experience is required, including at least five (5) years of leadership or management experience.
- Familiarity with general utility operations and a working knowledge of energy policy and finance is preferred.
- Experience managing significant budgets is preferred.
- Knowledge of ISO New England rules and procedures preferred.
- Experience managing in a union workplace is preferred.
- Experience with complex energy trading or financial transactions preferred.
- Ability to interact with internal and external City Officials, Local, state and regulatory entities in a professional and courteous manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of rate design and load forecasting principles preferred.
- Ability to process and handle large amounts of data efficiently and effectively, required.
- Occasional travel required.
- Ability to advance BED Strategic Initiatives and support the effort of achieving Burlington's Net Zero Energy City goal as defined in the BED Strategic Direction.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development, as well as efforts to ensure equitable access to BED energy incentives and programs.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
- Additional Information
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities.
Applications for this position are only accepted on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.