We’ve trained in non-traditional fields for women since we opened for business in 1987.
Our Step Up programs and classes introduce women to jobs and careers they may not have considered before – typically male-dominated fields that pay a higher wage, and have fewer female professionals and role models to look to. In our history, we’ve offered Step Ups in a diverse range of fields, including: carpentry, construction, law enforcement, green electrical & plumbing, and telecommunications.
Our Step Ups range from one-day orientations to multi-week training programs and are developed in collaboration with local employer partners. They connect women to:
- nuts ‘n bolts information about jobs & careers they may not have considered
- pay scales & methods for advancement in those fields
- introductory trainings (depending on program timeframe)
- exposure to local professionals & employers, including women working in the field
- soft-skills building: communication, teamwork & women in non-traditional fields
- a supportive, hands-on environment in which to learn
- resume and cover letter preparation; job coaching
Step Up programs help a woman “try on” the possibility of a new career. And if she decides to pursue further training, they increase her likelihood of successfully obtaining and maintaining that job.
From Our Women
I don't think I would have the confidence to pursue a career in law enforcement without this program.
Step Up to Law Enforcement graduate, 2014
I had been unemployed or underemployed… SUIT changed all that. For the first time in a very long time, I feel confident in advancing in this field.
Chris Saracco, Step Up to IT 2015