We’ve trained in non-traditional fields for women since we opened for business in 1987.
Our Step Up programs and classes introduce women to jobs and careers they may not have considered before – typically male-dominated fields that pay a higher wage, and have fewer female professionals and role models to look to. In our history, we’ve offered Step Ups in a diverse range of fields, including: carpentry, construction, law enforcement, green electrical & plumbing, and telecommunications.
Our Step Ups range from one-day orientations to multi-week training programs and are developed in collaboration with local employer partners. They connect women to:
- nuts ‘n bolts information about jobs & careers they may not have considered
- pay scales & methods for advancement in those fields
- introductory trainings (depending on program timeframe)
- exposure to local professionals & employers, including women working in the field
- soft-skills building: communication, teamwork & women in non-traditional fields
- a supportive, hands-on environment in which to learn
- resume and cover letter preparation; job coaching
Step Up programs help a woman “try on” the possibility of a new career. And if she decides to pursue further training, they increase her likelihood of successfully obtaining and maintaining that job.
For more information, please contact Rachel Jolly, 802.622.0400 x108
From Our Women
I don't think I would have the confidence to pursue a career in law enforcement without this program.
Step Up to Law Enforcement graduate, 2014
I had been unemployed or underemployed… SUIT changed all that. For the first time in a very long time, I feel confident in advancing in this field.
Chris Saracco, Step Up to IT 2015