Program Specialist: Justice-Involved Services
The Program Specialist: Justice-Involved Services at the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility (CRCF) - Vermont’s only women’s prison – is responsible for coordinating and delivering Vermont Works for Women’s (VWW) employment, training, and support programs for incarcerated women and gender expansive individuals currently residing at CRCF. Working directly in the facility, the specialist works closely with both VWW staff and Department of Corrections staff. This position coordinates and oversees Windows to Work, the facility worker program. The specialist also manages the Career Resource & Re-entry Center, and VWW’s culinary skills training program. This position involves one-on-one coaching as well as classroom-based facilitation. Additionally, this position supports successful community re-entry by help women exiting CRCF.
Windows to Work (Facility Jobs Program): 30% of total time
- Coordinate open positions and hiring through the Windows to Work program in the facility. Create and update job descriptions. Develop new positions with an eye to changing needs and ADA.
- Manage tracking of Windows to Works new hires, promotions, suspensions & work crew coverage and communicate as needed with DOC staff. Process time off requests & coordinate coverage for Windows to Work
- Support facility workers with performance issues including conflict resolution and running professionalism classes as needed
- Create & implement worker evaluations, worker appreciation events, and worker letters of reference.
- Supervise interns and Administrative Assistant from the Windows to Work program
Career Resource & Re-entry Center: 30% of time
- Implement creation of Employment Portfolios (record containing facility work history, letter of reference, IRCs, resume, etc.)
- Manage the Career Resource & Re-entry Center including staffing, scheduling, open computer lab, and coordinating services.
- Meet with clients individually to create resumes, job search plans, and interviewing.
- Implement, revise and update training workshops, such as Build Your Skills and employment readiness, as needed.
- Schedule pre-release interviews, and post release employment case management meetings.
- Assist with re-entry support services and Realities of Re-Entry support groups
- Facilitate Enrichment Night program, hosting mentor presentations and inspiring speakers at the facility for the residents
- Coordinate virtual job shadows with employer partners
Culinary Training Program: 30% of time
- Coordinate Culinary Program scheduling, recruiting, and intake for each cohort.
- Facilitate classroom portion of culinary training curriculum with participants.
- Recruit and manage guest chef instructors for hands-on kitchen lab.
- Support the success of all program participants.
- Plan graduation events.
- Manage culinary program purchasing and culinary program budget.
Other: 10% of total time
- Attend provider meetings, Facility Management Team meetings, and other partner and VWW internal meetings, as required.
- Provide program reports to Program Manager as needed
- Track data and program outcomes using VWW’s and DOC’s data tracking systems
Schedule and work environment
- This position will primarily work out of the Chittenden Regional Correctional facility, with a smaller portion of time working from the VWW main office or teleworking.
- The schedule typically operates Tuesday-Friday 11am-7pm, Monday 9am-5pm; with some weeknight and weekends required.
- Some travel required for off-site meetings and trainings
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Job Requirements
Education & Experience:
- Relevant experience and strong interest in human services, social services, social justice, criminal justice; experience working with incarcerated women preferred.
- Experience with direct service, coaching/mentoring, & program delivery
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.
- Interpersonal skills; conflict resolution, motivational interviewing, coaching methods
- Effective communicator with diverse populations
- Understanding of effects of poverty, trauma, and incarceration on women
- Passion for social justice and empowering others to achieve their potential
- Small group training or facilitation
- Experience and/or training in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and Teams
Success Factors (i.e. personal characteristics that contribute to excelling in position):
- Clear commitment to, and enthusiasm for, VWW’s mission.
- Commitment to engaging in efforts to improve our work internally and externally with diverse individuals and groups.
- Positive, cooperative team spirit. Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
- Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and accomplish goals.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- A sense of humor, tact and diplomacy.