The Application Engineer (AE) is a key member of Omega Optical – Thin-Film Filters Division Engineering Team, trusted to deliver world-class technical solutions to our customer and partner needs. The AE is an integral part of the Omega Optical customer management team, and is responsible for identification and recommendation of technical solutions to customers. Works closely with customers and is responsible for the accuracy and comprehensiveness of all Sales Proposals. Works with operations and production groups to develop successful and economical production processes, methods scaling and integrating resources where necessary. Recommends process changes and improves processes. Actively participates in the design of coatings and development of product, manufacturing engineer support, and testing of Omega Optical thin film filters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate expert knowledge and problem-solving abilities in providing technical support to customers who purchase from the extensive product portfolio.
- Develop and provide customized opto-mechanical and electro-optical solutions, assist in the design of custom products.
- Conduct timely documentation of engineering, cost estimating, and design functions in response to customer requests for quotation within established timeframe.
- Lead the sales quote meetings and facilitate conversations when requests are an exception to current capabilities.
- Provide technical support via phone, web chat & e-mail to customers and distributors worldwide.
- Technical writing including technical conference papers, sales and marketing collateral including application notes, white papers and magazine articles that describe the company's product offerings and capabilities to a general technical audience.
- Support Marketing and Sales activities by attending Tradeshows and Customer visits. Up to 25% travel - domestic and foreign.
- Reports to the Director of Engineering
- Strong, trusting and supportive relationships with the other Engineering team members are essential for effective organizational management and success.
- Strong relationship with Sales, Marketing and Operations teams.
EXCELLENCE IN THIS POSITION:
- A high level of technical knowledge and the willingness to widely share it.
- Strong understanding of optical systems, optical materials, thin film optical design software (TFCalc and Optilayer) and optical monitoring/control techniques.
- Attend regular team meetings, project assessment meetings and collaborates across company boundaries. Seek and incorporate advice from the R&D and Production team members.
- Excellent planning, design and implementation skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and clarify complex technical situations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead continuous improvements in the Company's systems for increased efficiency and higher levels of customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to clearly write and present information to team members.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively.
- Conversing with good troubleshooting and problem-solving skills (e.g., 8D).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
We will consider experienced candidates as well as recent graduates with degrees in optical engineering, physics, or similar. Bachelor's Degree with 3 years or Master's Degree with 1 years of experience in Optics or Photonics is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor's Degree with 5+ years or Master's Degree with 2+ years of experience in Optics or Photonics is a plus. Thin Films or Photonics Engineer and Applications Engineer experience is a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to listen effectively. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to senior management, peers and groups of employees.
Ability to plan, develop, and manage a project. Ability to understand complex statistical methods used in product design and quality management.
Ability to apply principles of logic and the scientific method to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with non-verbal symbolism (formulae, scientific equations, graphs, etc.).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk and hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is usually done in a combination of office and manufacturing settings. The noise level can be quiet to moderately high.
The work may include ongoing stress of varying levels. This is a high-energy, high-visibility position with attendant levels of stress.
Note: The above duties or working procedures describe the chief functions of the job. They are not considered a detailed description of every duty of the job. The job description is intended to be dynamic in nature, subject to addition or deletion as required by organizational changes and customer needs.