Bookkeeping/Administrative Assistant (Part Time)
NBNC’s Bookkeeping/Administrative Assistant works with the Finance & Administration Director to support the finance, administrative, and human resources functions of the organization. This 12-16 hour/week position will focus on keeping NBNC’s financial, employee, and corporate records and files accurate and up-to-date and will assist with related projects, such as researching new benefit options, insurance, or regulatory requirements, as needed. Depending on the background and skills of the successful candidate, the position could focus more heavily on bookkeeping or on supporting NBNC’s HR functions and other administrative tasks, by mutual agreement.
Location and Hours: The position is based in our Montpelier, Vermont, office, though after onboarding, a significant percentage of remote work is possible if mutually agreed and the successful candidate’s technological skills and set-up support this. This position is budgeted for an average of 16 hours per week on a mutually convenient schedule to be determined; any qualified candidate who can commit to at least 12 hours per week is encouraged to apply.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities Bookkeeping and Financial Management
● Working with the Finance Director and Office Manager, enters annual budget and all transactions into Quickbooks and properly codes all transactions.
● Biweekly and quarterly, enters into Quickbooks wage-cost, benefits, taxes, insurance, and other shared expense allocations to program budgets, based on timesheets.
● Compiles and submits payroll data to NBNC’s payroll service biweekly based on timesheets.
● On quarterly basis, compiles data on payments to independent contractors for tax and unemployment insurance reporting.
● Creates, sends out, and follows up on invoices.
Human Resources Support
● Assists with onboarding paperwork for new employees, annual benefit-plan selection, background-check processing, and other employee-related paperwork.
● Researches new employee benefit options as needed.
● Researches employer legal requirements as needed.
Other Duties as assigned, including
● Assists with maintaining NBNC’s corporate registration paperwork with both State and Federal agencies.
● Assists with maintaining and updating insurance policies as directed.
● Assists with maintaining archival administrative files.
● Organized, efficient, reliable, trustworthy and detail-oriented, with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, and a commitment to collaborative teamwork and to NBNC’s mission.
● Experience with Quickbooks (ideally Quickbooks Desktop) required.
● Bookkeeping and/or accounting coursework or past work experience preferred, particularly in a nonprofit context.
● Fluency with computers, Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office, and Google Suite products required.
● Human Resources experience desired.
● Strong writing skills preferred.
Reports to: Finance & Administration Director
North Branch Nature Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Moreover, as part of our commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, we actively seek to strengthen our organization by diversifying our staff. We encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities, people who identify as LBGTQ+, and People of Color.