Build Project Supervisor
The Build Project Supervisor is the perfect opportunity for a carpenter looking to grow their skill set, manage a project and worksite, and lead others in a unique and challenging setting. This person will be the lead on-site builder and supervisor for the construction of a series of 600 square foot, high efficiency, off grid, 4-season huts VYCC is building in conjunction with The Vermont Huts Association. This position will be the project leader for a VYCC crew made up of young adults (18-26) beginning their careers in the building trades. They will manage the technical and logistical aspects of the builds, maintaining a high standard of quality, efficiency, and site safety. VYCC will provide tools, transportation, camping site and equipment while on remote jobs. Other projects may include custom kiosks, project scouting and design, carpentry work on VYCC’s campus in Richmond, and other trails related carpentry work.
VYCC’s Conservation Program engages young people in hands-on projects that benefit Vermont’s environment and communities. The work of a Conservation Crew includes trail construction and maintenance, carpentry, water quality improvement, and forest management. Conservation Camping Crews tackle projects all across Vermont, moving from one project to another as they work and live together as a group for weeks at a time. Conservation Day Crews are rooted in a community— either Richmond or Woodstock for 2021—and work but do not live together as a group. Conservation Crew Leaders are essential to the success of any Conservation Crew and their efforts have a significant impact on habitat, water quality, and outdoor recreation in Vermont.
• Manage day to day construction work including framing, insulation, door and window installation, roofing, trim, flooring, siding, and finish work
• Operate and instruct others on a variety of power tools: drills, drivers, circular, miter, and table saws, etc.
• Lead others to maintain a clean and safe jobsite and work environment
• Ensure efficient, timely, and high quality production informed by VYCC and VHA staff
• Follow VYCC policies and procedures, program goals, and foster the VYCC mission while on the jobsite
• Maintain an emotionally and physically safe work environment
• Maintain regular communication with Crew Leader, VYCC staff, and VHA staff
• Work with VYCC and VHA staff to source, order, deliver, and prep materials
• Transport tools and equipment to and set up worksite
• Assist in crew training
• Assist in logistical preparations for crew and project