Reports To: Facilities Coordinator
Schedule: Full time: 40 hour work week, including weekends, holidays and occasional overtime. Start times between 5am and 7am.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
How to Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Building Maintenance Technician Position in the subject line.
Summary: ECHO’s mission is to inspire and engage families in the joy of scientific discovery, wonder of nature, and care of Lake Champlain. ECHO is a dynamic, nationally acclaimed, science center and lake aquarium committed to engaging diverse public audiences and providing experiential, relevant and lifelong educational experiences for all our guests. ECHO employees are expected to contribute to a productive, respectful, inclusive workplace by modeling humor, communication, collaboration and accountability to our colleagues, animals and guests.
The Building Maintenance Technician is an experienced team player who likes working in a fast paced environment. The ideal candidate has demonstrated knowledge and a background in both general building maintenance and custodial services.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Custodial Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Daily cleaning of guest, staff and service areas: dusting, mopping, sweeping, scrubbing, window cleaning, trash removal, bathroom cleaning.
- Periodic deep cleaning utilizing carpet extractor and floor burnisher.
- Collect and transfer trash/recyclables to appropriate bulk storage or disposal containers.
- Maintain/stock paper products, solvents, cleansers, hand cleaners, etc. as needed.
- Periodic cleaning, sweeping, raking, etc. of exterior walkways, planter beds, parking lot and Hoehl Park; Weeding and lawn care
- Power washing terraces and building
- Respond to requests for emergency custodial needs in a timely manner.
- Other duties as required
Maintenance Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Setting up and maintaining exhibits
- Deicing and snow removal
- Assist in interior and exterior building maintenance including painting, flooring, plumbing, carpentry, lighting, HVAC, aquarium filtration systems, and maintaining signage.
- Other duties and special projects assigned as needed.
- Regular weekend and some after-hours work required.
- Assist Animal Care staff in animal care equipment maintenance and repair.
- Assist in departmental budget management.
This job description is not intended to be a complete statement of the position; it is intended merely to be a guide to the general work to be performed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities:
- Sufficient relevant experience that demonstrates understanding of and ability to provide excellent custodial services.
- Carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical skills.
- Electrical and electronics repair.
- Building finish work.
- Physical ability to perform strenuous work and lift/move at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to troubleshoot facilities issues both independently and with a team.
- Responsive multi-tasker who is comfortable working in fast paced environment.
- Other duties as required
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee sometimes works near moving mechanical parts and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee may work in high, precarious places and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
Schedule & Benefits
- Schedule to be determined
- Benefits include: Paid time off, Health care, Retirement.
- Staff Training and Professional Development Opportunities
- Beautiful work setting
This position will be full time, non-exempt and will be scheduled for five, eight-hour days per week, including weekends. Occasionally, this position will be required to work full weekends, holidays and overtime.
ECHO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates for employment who will contribute to our diversity.