City Attorney & Corporation Counsel
This position is responsible for the principal function of the City Attorney to serve as chiefcounsel for the City of Burlington. The City Attorney provides legal advice to the Mayor, CityCouncil and City Staff on a wide range of issues. Responsibilities also include frequentconsultation with municipal officials and preparation of legal opinions, ordinances, resolutions,and representation of the City in litigation. The City Attorney provides administrative oversight toall operations and activities of the City Attorney Office.
Applications received before May 28 will receive priority consideration.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as the chief spokesperson for the City on all legal issues.
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the work of legal staff in implementing theexpressed goals, policies and directives of the City Attorney Office.
- Supervises work of all employees within the City Attorney Office, in coordination with theSenior Assistant Attorney.
- Oversees all legal functions within the City of Burlington, including training legal staff,providing advice on specific cases of a more difficult nature and addressing needed areaswithin the community.
- Develops policies and procedures designed to increase the efficiency and effectiveness ofDepartmental operations and address legal services within the City of Burlington.
- Develops and administers the Departmental budget.
- Provides legal services and represents the City of Burlington in related legal matters,including civil and criminal litigation before courts and administrative agencies.
- Prepares written and oral opinions on questions of law submitted by the Mayor, CityCouncil and Department Heads.
- Prepares legal contracts, forms and other writings required for use by the City.
- Prepares resolutions and related communications to the City Council for action on specificitems for consideration and action.
- Prepares ordinances, rules and regulations as requested by the City Council, Mayor andDepartment Heads.
- Reviews legal processes of Departmental staff to ensure appropriate pre-trial and trialstrategies involving complex litigation, controversial claims and large tort and non-tortclaims.
- Procures outside legal counsel on behalf of the City to address specific or specializedlegal concerns and issues.
- Participates in various aspects of personnel administration within the Department,including hiring, termination, grievance procedures and coordinating employee training.
- Performs special projects for the Mayor and City Council as requested.
- Keeps Mayor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning workprogress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new orimproved ways of addressing such problems.
- Attends City Council meetings to provide legal, technical and administrative assistance onpolicy initiatives to City Council, Mayor and City Departments.
- Represents the City in legislative activities.