CONSERVATION AMERICORPS CREW MEMBER
VYCC is seeking Crew Members to serve on Conservation Crews and make a difference in communities throughout Vermont. A successful Crew Member is excited to be part of a supportive and inclusive crew community, navigate and learn from challenges, and strive towards personal and professional growth. AmeriCorps Crew Members are essential to the success of VYCC’s conservation projects. If you are excited to work on and learn from a conservation camping experience, while making communities and individuals more resilient, this service opportunity is for you!
Being on a Conservation Camping Crews is an immersive experience. Corps Members work together during the day and camp, eat, and hang out while at camp. All Crews work Monday through Friday, but weekend camping varies depending on the crew type.
VYCC’s Conservation Program engages young people in hands-on projects that benefit Vermont’s environment and communities. The work of a Conservation Crew includes trail construction and maintenance, carpentry, water quality improvement, and forest management. Conservation Camping Crews and Pro Crews tackle projects all across Vermont, moving from one project to another as they work and live together as a group for weeks at a time. Conservation Day Crews are rooted in a community—either Richmond or Woodstock for 2022—and work but do not live together as a group. Conservation Crew Leaders are essential to the success of any Conservation Crew and their efforts have a significant impact on habitat, water quality, and outdoor recreation in Vermont. These projects are made possible through VYCC's partnership with AmeriCorps (A*C) and The Corps Network.
Crew Community Building
• Help create a supportive and inclusive crew community by participating in crew activities and communicating personal and professional needs
• Engage with personal and crew goals through goal setting, reflection and feedback
• Follow all principles, practices and policies of VYCC and AmeriCorps
• Be part of a team made up of diverse individuals
• Work hard in all types of weather and environments
• Ability to adapt, grow and move outside of comfort zones
• Complete meaningful conservation projects including, but not limited to: Trail construction and maintenance, water quality, carpentry, and forest projects
• Serve approximately 40 hours/week on projects, an additional 15 hours on community activities, education, and training
Education and Training
• Participate in AmeriCorps Orientation, pre-season training, and scheduled trainings throughout term of service
• Participate in learning and growth opportunities throughout service
• Perform service safely in all weather conditions, including bringing all safety gear to the project site and using tools and equipment properly
• Maintain a drug-free worksite and campsite
• Clear and effectively communication skills
• Ability to care for self physically, emotionally, and socially
• An interest in making a positive impact through VYCC
Members serve Monday-Friday, 8 hours daily. Hours are between 8:00am and 4:30pm.
About The Vermont Youth Conservation Corps (VYCC)
The VYCC is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides valuable work and learning opportunities to youth and young adults from across the country and throughout Vermont. Our model is simple and effective: young people, working together, in the outdoors, on conservation and agriculture projects that have a high impact.
Excellence and Equal Opportunity at VYCC
VYCC has a deep commitment to excellence. We believe we are strongest when our team includes members with a broad range of life experiences. We strive to achieve this at all levels of our organization, and actively encourage and recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse applicant pool. VYCC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Corps Members spend most of their time outdoors, working with their crew while also interacting with project sponsors, community members, and VYCC staff. Positions require camping with the crew.
In accordance with 45CFR 2520.65, AmeriCorps members may not perform prohibited service activities directly or indirectly while in service. The prohibited activities are outlined in one’s Member Service Agreement
Term of Service and Dates of Service:
300 (Minimum Time) hour between June 2022 to October 2022
675 (Reduced Half Time) hour terms between April 2022 and October 2022 Service terms and start dates vary.
Fill out applicable responses below: Service Term: Living Allowance Amount: Printed Member Name: _____ _ _ _ _ Member Signature:______ _ _ _ _ Date:___ __ Program Director:______ _ _ _ Program Director Signature:______ _ _ _ _ _ Date: ___ _