Human Resources Administration
- Manage all HR services to assigned client groups within the City by building strong working relationships to provide strategic influence through empowerment and holding him/herself and others accountable.
- Interact with city employees, department heads, commission members and elected officials on wide variety of human resources matters including, but not limited to: contract and policy interpretation, conflict resolution, performance management, discipline and discharge, recruitment, employee grievances, compensation, diversity and inclusion, wellness, safety and benefits programs.
- Provide or coordinate external sources for coaching, training and presentations to assigned client groups, elected officials and others on legal compliance relating to EEOC, Worker's Compensation, Illegal Harassment, cultural competency and diversity, FLSA, OSHA/VOSHA, ADA, ADEA, FMLA and other applicable state, local and federal laws and regulations as requested.
- Conduct intake interviews and investigations in response to harassment/respect in the workplace allegations and employee grievances in consultation with HR Director and legal counsel, as necessary.
- Oversee pre-employment medical exams, fitness for duty requests, drug and alcohol testing, background checks, Hepatitis B vaccination programs, VOSHA and Department of Transportation medical examination testing requirements including CDL drug pool and annual license verification.
- Analyze data and identify employment trends for functional areas and communicate results with HR team and department managers as appropriate.
- Carry out research assignments to support collective bargaining and grievance procedures.
- Coach and assist managers with the performance management process and work with the HR Administrator to monitor performance evaluation cycles for assigned client groups.
- Participate in cross-functional teams and other COB projects and initiatives as assigned.
- Support the City's diversity, equity and cultural competency initiatives by representing the City at meetings and trainings such as We All Belong, to assist the administration in developing City practices and standards for an inclusive and diverse workforce at all levels of staff.
- Oversee City-wide training initiatives related to HR legal compliance and best practices for assigned client groups.
- Identify, create, implement and manage special projects that are in alignment with the ever changing needs of the City's dynamic work environment.
- Conduct and participate in compensation studies as assigned.
- Work outside of regular business hours to attend City Council and sub-committee meetings as necessary.
- Directly contribute to the day to day functional operations of the human resources office including serving as backup to other staff including the Human Resources Director.
Support administration of the City's employee insurance programs including health, dental, flex spending, CANRX, EAP, 457 deferred compensation programs and post-employment health plans including participation in bidding and renegotiation of carrier contracts.
Conduct and communicate annual open enrollments for various benefits plans in partnership with the HR Administrator.
Facilitate accurate completion of applicable forms associated with changes in employee demographics, benefits information, general changes in status and provide to HR Administrator.
Provide City employees on options available for retirement benefits; prepare estimates of benefits, explain retirement procedures, provide information on health insurance, federal and state taxes, and social security; review actuarial benefit computations
Inform vested and non-vested terminating City employees on options available to them for the contributions made to the retirement system.
Attend retirement board meetings to provide supporting information related to disability retirement applications.
Maintain confidential employee medical records
Play a leadership role on City's Wellness Team.
Workers Compensation/Leaves of Absence Administration
Receive, track and maintain records of all workers compensation claims made by City employees within assigned client groups; ensure appropriate information is provided to insurance carrier and third party administrator in a timely manner.
Work with employees, supervisors, insurance providers, third party administrators and physicians on safe return to work following workers compensation injuries, including returning to light duty assignments.
Work with managers, supervisors and employees to encourage, promote and coordinate work place safety initiatives.
Coordinate, administer and track FMLA leaves for assigned client groups. Ensure appropriate and timely documentation in order to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
Employment and Compensation Administration
Maintain up-to-date job descriptions and organizational charts for all positions within assigned client groups.
Coordinate the preparation of all step placements, reorganizations, classification/reclassification packages as required.
Support regular and seasonal recruiting efforts by identifying recruitment strategies, training hiring committees and assisting departments interviews for new hires and promotions.
Conduct regular new employee orientation and present at departmental seasonal hire orientations.
Conduct exit interviews, participate in separation process and track demographic information to inform diversity and equity initiatives.
Perform other duties as assigned.