Learning Technologist & LMS Manager
The Learning Technologist & LMS Manager (“Learning Technologist”) is responsible for managing
Sterling College’s Learning Management System (“LMS”) and the EcoGather Initiative’s
collaborative learning network hosted thereupon. Further, the Learning Technologist will play a
critical role in establishing and maintaining an institution-wide repository of modular learning assets.
Over time, the person in this role will support members of the faculty to make tactical use of the
platform and its assets so that the place-based, competency-assessed education at Sterling College is
delivered more efficiently and accessibly.
The Learning Technologist must have a personal interest in Sterling’s mission of ecological thinking
and action and support the College’s vision of being a community in which people of all
backgrounds and identities feel at home, where differences are embraced and individuals take
responsibility for furthering the dignity of all.
The Learning Technologist works closely with the Instructional Designer & Network Weaver, staff
in information technology, audio/visual production and continuing education and faculty. The
Learning Technologist reports to the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives.
General System Operations and Maintenance Oversight
● Oversee the implementation, use, and maintenance of Sterling’s LMS;
● Support the design, development, implementation, delivery and maintenance of courses,
content, learning assets and other resources;
● Oversee the installation of system upgrades, as well as tools and software integrated into the
● Remain current on system specifications and updates and integrate the latest functionality
into Sterling’s use of its LMS where appropriate;
● Identify and communicate opportunities for process and quality improvements, providing
feedback on usage, defects, and suggested enhancements; and
● Maintain procedures and policies to drive best practices related to the security and integrity
of the LMS.
Course & User Management
● Create user logins and assign user permissions, as needed;
● Create and manage user structures including the creation of user groups and learning
● Manage community fora including functionality, appearance, and settings; and
● Support EcoGather partner communities in creation, management and maintenance of
Training & Troubleshooting
● Curate (and where necessary, create) and update resources to train and support faculty, staff
and students on how to use the LMS;
● Provide troubleshooting assistance for users in relation to logging in to the LMS and
● Recognize and resolve the issues associated with course design, configuration or
● Troubleshoot and resolve issues relating to system functionality and integration of software
● Facilitate escalation for support issues when necessary, which may include interaction with
LMS representation and other vendor support services; and
● Review and monitor system performance.