WPTZ/NBC5, the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate station in the Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY, has an opportunity for a high energy, highly skilled meteorologist to join our Weather Team. We are looking for a meteorologist who knows the science, but can tell a relatable weather story. Our next meteorologist will be an accurate forecaster, convey an appropriate tone of urgency and authority in severe weather coverage, summarize complicated information, and stay cool under pressure. This meteorologist will be assigned to weekend weather anchoring, fill-in for weekday meteorologists and reporting.
During work hours, you'll be in our brand new, state-of-the-art facility. In off hours, you'll be surrounded by some of the best ski areas in the country, scenic mountains, and some of the most beautiful waterways in the country.
- Give our viewers the weather forecast with accurate, compelling, and understandable weather storytelling and graphics.
- Will provide urgent, immediate weather information before and during severe weather events
- Will be able to simultaneously provide content on TV and on our digital platforms.
- Will use all the technology and tools available to us including the WSI weather system, to tell an intriguing weather story
- Could be deployed in the field during weather events
- Gather news and information
- Summarize fact and clearly communicate content for broadcast
- In-person attendance is required. Position is located in South Burlington, VT.
- In-depth knowledge of weather science and forecasting.
- Proven on-air experience in handling breaking news and severe weather coverage
- Dynamic and authoritative on-air presence with a conversational weather presentation
- Knowledgeable about how to interpret and translate high powered radar data
- Proficient in using WSI and other graphics and technology
- Excellent forecasting and on-air skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to tell a compelling weather story
- Radar experience preferred
- Ability to do live field reporting on weather and other topics.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.