Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Project Estimator will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Project Estimator at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Project Estimator is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Project Estimator, you will be responsible for executing the estimating process to support multiple project managers in the development and management of capital projects, billable engagements and maintenance activities by providing timely, accurate and competitive estimates. You are responsible for updating and refining estimates, including analysing project costs, developing and maintaining cost information, and supporting project managers in the development of budgets and quarterly forecasts. Additional responsibilities include performance of strategic initiatives and process improvements efforts to support our vision and mission.
How you will make an impact
- Performs analytical duties of a complex nature requiring advanced professional experience, knowledge and competency in accounting principles and practices. Works with broad discretion on assignments of a varied, diverse and difficult nature
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate and timely estimates of project costs for electric utility infrastructure projects, including transmission lines, substations, IT and communication projects in accordance with the company estimating process
- Identifies and quantifies project risks and associated contingency impacts to project costs
- Develops documentation of estimated project cost in support of the estimating process as well as project alternative analyses efforts
- Gathers and maintains current market data necessary to support estimate accuracy, consistency, standardization and cost controls
- Summarizes and provides complete project estimate spreadsheets utilizing Microsoft Excel as well as company accounting software
- Utilizes and improves upon set utility industry concepts, practices, construction techniques, and procedures
- Identifies trends in spend rates, variances to estimate/forecasts/budget, and works with project managers to adjust project financial forecasts and estimate revision
- Supports the development and analysis of project and program of work financial performance metrics;
- Provides timely and efficient access to cost data and communicates with project managers on a regular basis to discuss project financial performance and recovery plans/re-forecasts as necessary
- Develops and makes recommendations for improved operations
- Develops and installs complex financial systems, methods, procedures, and controls
- Performs other duties as assigned
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have experience in accounting, economics, finance, business, or utilities. A minimum of 6 years of professional experience is required. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least twice per week
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
• Superior written and verbal communication skills at all levels and operating areas
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
• Excellent skills with Microsoft suite, especially Excel
• Excellent mathematical and analytic skills
• Understanding of utility infrastructure projects including expected expenditures, durations, and spend risks is a plus
• Ability to understand construction prints/takeoffs is preferred
• Solid understanding of how to integrate project schedule, estimated spend information with actual project costs to evaluate project performance is preferred
Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.