QA Technician (1st or 3rd shift)
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE TO RHINO:
The Quality Assurance Technician supports the performance of our Operations team, assuring that the food safety and quality of our products meet regulatory, customer and Rhino’s standards. In addition, this role performs or facilitates the laboratory testing of raw ingredients, finished goods, and does our environmental monitoring assessments. As a Preventative Controls Qualified Individual, the QA Technician reviews production documents and processing records for compliance to specifications, as well as performs regular observational reviews for conformance to Good Manufacturing Practices and Prerequisite Programs. You will also participate in investigation, root cause analysis and corrective actions in our commitment to quality culture and continuous improvement.
RESULTS YOU’LL BE EXPECTED TO DELIVER:
• Act as a model of food safety and quality standards, reinforcing our Good Manufacturing Practices with production, warehouse and other team members.
• Support operations teams with quality issues, including contributing to the investigation and decision making on non-conformance incidents as a “triangle team” member.
• Perform daily walkthroughs, observing conformance to process, allergen and other preventive controls. Record observations and follow up with containment, corrections and corrective actions.
• Act as a QA Department representative at Production Team huddles and other meetings.
• Set-up, coordinate and participate in daily cuttings, our physical and sensory evaluation of the previous days’ production. Maintain cutting results in the log.
• Record and report on shift performance and issues. Complete necessary reports for QA incidents.
• Perform EMP and Allergen cleaning verification swabs per schedule.
• Maintain the QA Lab in good condition, ensuring performance to standards and being “visitor ready” always. Maintain cleanliness and readiness of facility and equipment, such as scales, thermometers, incubator and sterilizer.
• Check incoming raw material Certificates of Analysis to ensure compliance with specifications. Maintain the active and accurate hold and release of raw materials as assigned.
• Review production paperwork for completion and accuracy, and highlight any deviations from standards, following up with team leaders or supervisors as required. As a PCQI, approve each production lot if found in compliance. Otherwise, advise QA Manager of any issues of concern.
• Organize product samples including retentions. Pull and evaluate product samples as required.
• Maintain QA Lab records, including COAs, Production Records, Raw Material Specifications, and other documents requiring retention.
• Participate and support in QA Product Hold resolutions, including supervising reworks or disposals.
• Prepare outside testing sample shipments, SARFs, log and reports.
• Supports inside testing microplating schedule as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES YOU’LL BRING:
• At least 3 years of food manufacturing experience with training in quality functions.
• PCQI training completed within 3 months of position (as available). ASQ CQPA earned within 2 years in position.
• Has a strong understanding of the role of Quality Assurance as a support function to ensure food safety and quality. Must demonstrate a commitment to standards, and the judgement to determine when actual results or observations are or are not meeting standards.
• Must have a comprehensive understanding of our Quality Standards, including our Good Manufacturing Practices, Process and Product Specifications, and mandatory operating conditions. Should be able to easily distinguish when these Standards are not in conformance and describe the difference in a manner such that containment and correction of the non-conformance can be effective immediately.
• Must have a working knowledge of the FDA and BRC expectations for food manufacturers.
• Must be able to perform daily walkthroughs and evaluate conformance to standards in terms of facility condition, team adherence to procedures and GMPs, and assess product quality to specifications.