Seasonal Beach and Parks Patrol Person
- General Purpose
This position is responsible for providing basic security protection and limited law enforcement services within the city parks and city beaches.
- Essential Job Functions
- Attend classes, participate in department training exercises, and study department materials to acquire and advance job knowledge and skills.
- Patrol specific and assigned parks, beaches and Church St. on foot and bicycle.Identify suspicious activities and person; determine if any state or city ordinances have been violated.
- Issue tickets for parking violations and written warnings for all other city ordinance violations.
- Make determination if a police officer is needed to take further action.
- Attempt to mediate any conflicts.
- Maintain uniforms and equipment in accordance with department directives.
- Maintain positive public relations while enforcing the law, providing information or otherwise assisting the public.
- Document all actions in writing as per department or state regulations.
- Demonstrate and support the department philosophy of Community Policing; its ethics, values, mission and vision.
- Learn and utilize all department rules and regulations as they pertain to the position of Parks Patrol Officer.
- Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Career interest in law enforcement preferred.
- Knowledge of all department rules and regulations as they pertain to the position of Parks Patrol Officer.
- Must have legal status to live and work in the United States. Must be 18 years of age at the time of application. Must have no less than 20/20 corrected vision in each eye.
- Must have no felony or serious misdemeanor convictions, nor any habitual or serious traffic offenses.
- Must successfully complete oral board interview and back ground investigation.
- Must successfully complete all department required training and certifications.
- All successful Beach and Parks Officers will be self-motivated and display honesty, integrity, common sense, emotional stability and a tolerance to stress while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Additional Information
The City of Burlington will not tolerate unlawful harassment or discrimination on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status or genetic information. The City is also committed to providing proper access to services, facilities, and employment opportunities. For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 865-7145.
WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. EOE.
AmeriCorps, PeaceCorps and National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.