Transit Driver - Fixed Route
Advance Transit is a not-for-profit charitable organization providing free transit in Vermont and New Hampshire with the goal of reducing traffic congestion. You will drive our buses and transport passengers over specified local routes on time and in a safe and professional manner. As a driver, you provide dependable, courteous service and are critical to fulfilling our mission.
SIGNING BONUS: We are currently offering a $6,000 signing bonus to new hires who already have their CDL with Passenger endorsement!
In this role, you will perform the following essential functions:
- Drive assigned vehicle over designated route following schedule and timetable.
- Assist disabled passengers into and out of the bus, utilizing the wheelchair lift, or ramp, if bus is so equipped.
- Secure passengers and wheelchairs with restraining devices to stabilize wheelchairs during trip.
- Operate two-way radio to communicate with dispatcher or headquarters to report delays or disruption in service, or to communicate with other transit buses to report passenger transfers or delays.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Comply with local traffic regulations.
- Keep records of passenger trips and report any deviation from scheduled activity.
- Report all passenger incidents and vehicle accidents to the dispatcher and all vehicle mechanical problems to the maintenance department.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections as required for commercial vehicles.
- Report any lost items found on the bus to headquarters at the end of each shift.
- Attend all training scheduled by the Transportation Operations Manager.
This position is classified as “safety sensitive” and as such is subject to Federal Transportation Authority (FTA) mandated drug and alcohol testing. This posting excludes marginal functions that are incidental to performing the job. Other duties may be assigned.
We are looking for drivers with a High School diploma or GED equivalent. Drivers must have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL Class B with passenger endorsement) or the desire and ability to obtain their CDL. Drivers must be able to maintain an active Dept. of Transportation Medical Card. This position is classified as “safety sensitive” and as such is subject to FTA mandated drug and alcohol testing.
Additionally, drivers must demonstrate the following skills:
- Strong driving skills
- Strong customer service, communication and conflict management skills
- Map reading skills
- Attention to Details and deadlines
- Basic Mathematical Skills- add subtract whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to read and understand documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals
- Computer skills – familiarity with the internet, tablet and laptop devices
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time while operating the bus. Drivers must be able to safely reach all controls without assistance and be able to see in all directions while seated in the driver’s seat. Drivers must be able to speak to and hear from customers. Drivers must also be able to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel crouch or crawl and may have to regularly move more than 100 pounds. Drivers must be able to see both near and far objects clearly as well as have full range of peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing this role, the employee is regularly exposed to bus vibrations and occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Work involves being around moving machinery and exposure to dust, fumes, gases, noises, and extremes in temperature/humidity. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Advance Transit provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veterans status, genetics or any other category protected by federal and state law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Advance Transit is committed to providing a workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. Advance Transit believes that an inclusive and diverse workplace culture enhances the performance of our organization and our ability to fulfill the agency’s mission.