Youth and Family Restorative Liaison
This grant-funded part-time (25 hours/week) position will work in close coordination with theBurlington School District (BSD) and UP for Learning to disrupt the school to prison pipeline byreducing suspensions and expulsions of youth of color. The Liaison will use restorative practices,a trauma-informed lens, and collaborate with multiple community partners, to create a system forculturally responsive, early interventions. The position’s focus, initially, will be on the middleschools of Burlington, and will recruit and train students from diverse backgrounds onrelationship-building and conflict-response processes. This position will build upon the work ofthe BSD of the past six years as it works to implement restorative practices at a district-widelevel. This is a one-year grant with the possibility of three, one-year extensions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support the BSD in reducing racial disparities in suspensions and expulsions.
- Increase a sense of engagement, belonging and student voice by involving youth andfamilies in disciplinary policies and practices that are restorative in nature.
- Recruit and train student volunteers to lead restorative processes, both in proactiverelationship-building scenarios as well as in response to discipline referrals.
- Coordinate efforts with the BSD Equity Department (including an upcoming Equity Audit)to assist in training of staff about implicit bias, systemic racism, etc.
- Partner in UP for Learning’s retreats, coaching and trainings to carry learnings and ideasinto conflict responses.
- Collect and track demographic and other data relevant to the grant requirements.
- Assist in implementation of ideas generated by the Community-Led School SafetyTaskforce.
- Assist in evaluation efforts and other requirements of the grant.
- Attend related individual and agency training, as needed.
- Collaborate with the BCJC and the BSD to create a restorative, welcoming, inclusiveenvironment
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Attends monthly CJC staff meetings when appropriate
- Performs other duties as required.