(Video Transcript) Hello! I am Paige Ruffner, Women’s Program Manager for Employment and Career Services for Vermont Works for Women.
Welcome to the Skills to Get the Job!
Do you know where to start your job search? Have you never written a resume or cover letter and are not sure where to start, or has it been awhile since your last resume update? Do you have gaps in your job history or career that you are worried about? Do you have concerns about a background check? Are you uncertain about how to prepare for a job interview - especially one conducted virtually?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions or if you are in the job search or application phase of your career journey and have other questions, you have come to the right place.
In this area of our Build Your Skills journey map, you will find workshops on:
- writing a winning resume,
- creating cover letters that will catch the hiring team’s attention,
- and preparing for an in-person and virtual job interview.
You will also find additional resources for these topics and more such as:
- popular links for job searches in Vermont and beyond,
- choosing professional references,
- understanding key behaviors for professional etiquette,
- and negotiating salary and compensation once you receive the job offer.
I encourage you to explore the topics that are of most interest and relevance to you to assist you in getting the job. At the bottom of this page, you will find a link to contact me. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or if you would like to take advantage of our free coaching or mentoring services.
Please know: there are no income eligibility requirements. Our confidential services are available to all women and people marginalized for their gender identity, aged 16 years and older all across Vermont.
- VT Works for Women's Guide to the Job Search
- How to Get Organized for the Job Search (Video)
- VT Works for Women VT Job Bank
- Local Vermont Job Boards: Think Vermont, JobsInVT, Vermont Job Link, Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility Job Board, Common Good Vermont, and Seven Days Jobs
- VT Works for Women's Guide to Resumes
- How to Make a Resume (With Examples) (Video)
- Resume Formats
- VT Works for Women's Skills-based Resume Template
- VT Works for Women's Guide to Cover Letters
- How to Write a Cover Letter (Plus Tips and Examples) (Video)
- The Best Cover Letter Examples for Every Type of Job Seeker
- How to Create a Profile on LinkedIn
- Update Your LinkedIn Profile
- Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile for Search (Video)
- VT Works for Women's Guide to Choosing References for a Job Application
- Tips for Choosing Professional References
- VT Works for Women's Guide to Professional Etiquette
- 5 Proper Workplace Etiquette Tips to Practice for Professional Success (Video)
- Ultimate Guide to Professionalism
salary and compensation negotiation
- VT Works for Women's Guide to Salary and Compensation Negotiation
- Negotiating for Women (Video)
- Tips for Negotiating Salary